Arriving and Departing School
1. Students should arrive at school no earlier than 7:20 a.m. Upon entering the building they should pick up breakfast and report to their homeroom which is the same as their 1st Period class.
2. Homeroom period (same as 1st period) will be from 7:20 a.m. to 7:44 a.m. In homeroom students may eat breakfast, complete any outstanding assignment, and listen to the morning announcements.
3. Parents driving students to and from school are to use the parking lot for drop off and pick up.
BUS RIDERS are expected to leave the building by 2:30 p.m. Parent pick-up and walkers will be dismissed at approximately 2:30 pm. No student may stay after school unless under the supervision of a classroom teacher.
1. Six days of absence – letter from the Principal.
2. Nine days of absence – letter from the Principal.
3. Twelve days of absence - may result in a referral to the Student Services Team (SST) to review parent contacts and to discuss a possible course of action.
4. Twenty days of unlawful absence - may result in retention in the current grade, required summer program, and/or court action initiated.
Attendance Incentives During the Regular School Year
Good attendance is very important! For our students who earn perfect Attendance, there are many awards and incentives available, including:
Access to a Photo Booth
Hot Chocolate Bar
Field trip to the Movies
CHRONIC ABSENTEEISM, as defined by the Maryland State Department of Education, is when a student is absent for 10% or more of the school days during the school year. Chronically absent students include those who are absent for any reason – excused or unexcused.
Students will be counted present when they enter the classroom. In order to be counted present for the entire day, students must attend more than half of their daily scheduled classes. If a student is not able to attend class, a parent or guardian must provide written communication to the child’s school so the school can determine if the absence is excused.